Found 3 results for tag "japanese"

Japanese Experiment: Result

It's been 30 or so days since Keat and I started our "Living Japanese" Experiment, and we've received the power bill, which means it should give us a better understanding of how our different lifestyle has helped or hindered us.

So here's the result:
October Bill

For those of you that like table comparisions instead of images, here's the September bill (when we started) as compared to our October bill:

Water$15.82$15.82No Change
Sewer$15.81$15.81No Change
GarbageCollection$9.00$9.00No Change
Renewable Energy Fee$0.56$0.56No Change

The verdict: Not much.

Our Electricity usage went down a bit, which I'm not sure whether it is because we used less electricity because we didn't use the big energy drainers (like the stove and dishwasher) or because my primary hosting server quit and I took out the servers (although that was on 10/5, only 10 days short of the end of the experiment).

I was quite surprised to see that our water, sewer, and garbage stayed exactly the same (I knew the Renewable Energy fee would stay the same, and the Tax of course would differ). I thought that we would have used remarkably less or more water since we were washing all of our dishes by hand, but I guess our town just doesn't work that way.

Does this mean that Keat and I will continue this 'experiment'? Probably, since we are looking at moving to Japan in 5 years or less. It will depend on a number of circumstances, including jobs.

Tags:#japanese #japan #experiment #kitchen

Introduction of the <ruby> tag

As much as I've wanted to write Japanese on the web, I never really knew how hiragana characters were written above kanji (see example).
NHK News Easy Website

I always thought that it was manually inserted with each set of characters a special <div> that showed the pronunciation, or there was a special engine or library that automatically did it.
Well, whether there is or there isn't, I have found a way: the <ruby> tag.

I always saw the <ruby> tag and thought it was for inserting Ruby on Rails code into HTML. I knew about merging Ruby and HTML codings, but never like this.
Produces this

That is it. In order to insert special Japanese (or Chinese/Thai/Korean/etc) characters, you don't need to look up each special character code for each character if you already have access to it (like a Japanese IME or keyboard). Just copy and paste (or write) and the <rt> tags will put the special pronunciation over the selected character. Although, you may need to insert multiple <ruby> tags in order to write out a paragraph or something, but the concept is there.

I find it interesting that this is possible, and I may be late to the game, but it is nice to be able to do something like this.

Tags:#html #demos #tags #ruby #japanese

Japanese Lifestyle Experiment: Day 1

So Keat and I decided to "live Japanese" for a while, just to see how we can do it and what it is like.

The Rules

With that being said, here are the rules that we are setting in place for at least the next 30 days:
  1. No Dishwasher: That's right. We will be hand-washing everything. Even though throughout all of the houses that we looked at 4 years ago, this house was the only house that had a dishwasher, we are going to try to not use it.
  2. No Stove: Since most Japanese houses/apartments don't have stoves, we will be using a 5th Eye only. We found out that ours kind of sucks, so we may need a better one.
  3. No Oven: Most Japanese apartments/houses don't have ovens, only toaster ovens. So we will be trying our best to reduce (if not eliminate) our oven-usage.
  4. Only using one side of our kitchen: Let me explain: our kitchen is fairly huge compared to most Japanese apartments, so we are reducing our usage to only one side: the sink side. It will drastically reduce our counterspace, but we think it may be a bit better (if we don't kill each other first for the space).
  5. No Dryer: We will be using our washer to wash clothes, but we will be drying them on our back porch. Mainly, so we can reduce our electricity usage because of the dryer, but also to get used to drying our clothes outside (although with Winter sneaking up, that may not be the best idea)

That's everything for right now.
Our kitchen setup
Our kitchen setup - everything off of the good counter
The GOOD side of the kitchen
The GOOD side of the Kitchen that we are going to use
Our first night hand-washing dishes
Our first night hand-washing dishes

The Interim Results

Since we technically started this experiment last night, here's what we've learned so far:
  • Cooking hasn't changed much. However, the counter space is very small, but that's okay for a 5th eye, a rice cooker, and some prep space.
  • Our 5th eye sucks! (See above) We have an electric 5th eye that we picked up a few years ago, but haven't really used it. We started boiling some water to make some home-made Mirin, and by the time we made the Mirin (which should have been a 5 minute ordeal), the rice was completely cooked (which takes 30 minutes). So we are doing some research to find a new one.
    5th eye sucks!
    We are just now starting to cook the meat, while the rice has been done for about 5 minutes
  • Cleaning all of the dishes is a bit hard, but the good news is that it all gets done in roughly 10-15 minutes!
    All the dishes!
  • We are reducing the amount of dishes we are using to cook and eat! Which means less to clean! (Well, mostly)
  • Our Town came by and recorded our power and water usage at the beginning of our experiment (which was lucky for us). According to our average power/water usage, our utility bill is $140. Hopefully, in 30 days, our power bill will be a fraction of that!
    Our Power Bill at the beginning

That's everything we've learned so far. More reports later, and (hopefully in 30 days) there is a comparison report!

Tags:#japanese #japan #eating #kitchen #experiment