Author - Web Developer - Educator
Found 3 results for tag "milestone"
RSS Feed

Milestone 3: Complete!

YAY! I've successfully completed Milestone 3 of the Accelerator. It was a bit of a challenge, since I'm still learning jQuery, but I accept challenges for coding - especially when using a language that I barely know anything about and am willing to learn. Just to recap: M3 was to successfully remove a dynamically inserted row. Using a combination of .empty() .remove(), .parent(), and .live(), I was able to successfully remove dyanmicaly inserted rows using the .append() function and the tableDnD library.
$('.remove_box').live('click', function() { 
    /* get parent (td), then parent again (tr), and empty the tr */ 
    $(this).parent().parent().remove();  
});
Edit: 2010-11-14 20:12:35 .empty() was replaced by .remove() since the latter keeps the tableDnD library in place and requires the DOM features to be kept for the move features Now on to Milestone 4: field submission with database structure building rules - let's see how that goes....
Business Accelerator Progress - Form Builder: 60%


Tags:#milestone #accelerator #jquery #tracker #tutorials

RSS Feed

What a way to end a week

Well, I finished Eureka Season 2 today. Gotta love Netflix and all of their Instant shows, right? I mean, I could have watched SyFy (or SciFi as it was known) when it came on, for example: Tuesdays at 9, and I usually operate on a "must have a time slot" schedule for most things, but not TV shows. Instead of waiting each week for a certain day at a certain time for a TV show to come on (if it comes on), I prefer to watch it online. Sure, I can't do that with current shows (waiting on new Psych episodes is killing me), but who else can say that they watched all 4 seasons of Heroes in 16 consecutive days? I know I can.

But on to more important things: Keat went out shopping with Kat today, which left me home alone for about 5-ish hours. My main goal was to figure out Milestone 3 of the form building algorithym. I found out about the .empty() portion of the jQuery binding function (example: $('.to_delete').click(function() { $('#box').empty(); });), which is 80% of the Milestone. Now all I have to do is get the form builder to have multiple fields recognize the self-emptying feature with 1 function instead of having 1 auto-built function per row (which can get very confusing and very redundant).

I'm still playing with jQuery to better understand it. Although I'm all for building my own functions and features from scratch, I gotta admit: jQuery is probably the best of AJAX scripting libraries I've ever come across. jQuery makes everything that I've done with AJAX (such as the repetitive function $(box){ return document.getElementById(box); }, which simplifies a lot of the element claiming) seem like 1st grade.

If I keep working at this tomorrow, I should have Milestone 3 done by evening (I hope). Although one thing that always bugs me about the Fall/Winter season is the shortening of daylight. In the Summer, I like how at 7pm, you can see the oncoming of the night, and by 9, the night us upon us. However in the Fall/Winter, it's day at 5:30pm, as soon as 6 o'clock, nighttime comes and it's pitch black.

So far, the progress is coming along nicely. I'm awaiting payment from a client, which will allow us to afford the server upgrade, and then I'll spend some time getting the cURL installed and getting their site up. After that's done (est. time: 1 week), I should be back on the Accelerator and hopefully have the form builder done by Xmas, which means the whole system (form builder, form editor, validation and submission, payment, and more) should be done by March.


Tags:#jquery #netflix #heroes #eureka #milestone #xmas #psych #curl

RSS Feed

2 down, 3 to go!

I'm so excited about this, I have to talk about it!

The Business Accelerator I've been working on just passed it's 2nd major milestone! For the form builder, I wanted to merge the Field Adder (click "Add Field", a new text field is added to the form without erasing the current info) with the Row Mover (the "Netflix Queue" effect). In my mind, it worked perfectly. In real life, it was a pain to get to. But now that I made it, I'm excited!

Milestone 1 was getting the Field Adder put in place and tested. It worked right out of the box.

Milestone 2 was adding the Row Mover. After much testing, Milestone 1 had to be re-worked from scratch. After much testing and many, many edited pages, the Row Mover worked (many thanks to jsfiddle.net/pvpFU/2/ for the jQuery field adder and isocra.com/2008/02/table-drag-and-drop-jquery-plugin/ for the drag-and-drop jQuery feature). As of today: M2 has been reached and passed!

Milestone 3 will be for field deletion without messing up the current field structure. Should be easy (I hope)

Milestone 4 will be for field submission with database structure building rules (basically: taking the data and putting it in the database to be re-constructed as a form on the fly)

Milestone 5 will be testing the database insertion to make sure the form is built correctly.

Can't wait to get back in the code!
Business Accelerator Progress - Form Builder:
40%


Tags:#jquery #netflix #milestone #accelerator #tracker